Wednesday, 4 February 2015

Accidentally Expired Film

Because I'm not the richest of people I'm always looking for a film bargain and so when I saw a roll of pretty cheap Fuji Superia X-Tra 800 going on Ebay I snaffled it up. Snaffled without first looking at the expiry date. My bad. This one expired in 2007. Not quite what I was looking for. Especially considering that I didn't know how it had been stored and the film would definitely have lost some sensitivity over the 7 or so years it has been out of date. So I didn't have particularly high hopes when I shot through the roll. 

The day BadCatt and I wet out to shoot was freezing cold and overcast and probably entirely wrong for taking photographs at all and for the first half of the roll I just didn't know what to shoot and everything felt like crap. Eventually I took one photo that I thought might be okay and from there, mentally at least I felt like I was improving. 

Anyway, when it came to developing and scanning the film I was pretty surprised to see that some of the images were actually okay. The emulsion was doing something weird though in that it picked up yellow really clearly and green hardly at all. I can't wait to shoot this film again but an in date roll and see what it does. 

Here are a couple of shots I took as it started to get darker out. Not great, but interesting for the colours and ability in low light,,.

                                                      


No comments:

Post a Comment